Monday, June 23, 2014

Flowers and Wine

As I mentioned in a post earlier this month, the downside of being away from home often or for extended periods of time, is the flowers and the garden. I needed the color of flowers pots by the back door as that is my 'Welcome Home' or 'Welcome to My Home' statement. Everything was planted before the trip to Chicago. We were home for less than 48 hours before traveling to the Black Hills. I needed to come up with something for watering the planters. The garden plants would be on their own. The temps were to be in the 70s, which isn't too hot, but next to white siding, that is hot. Rain is always a hit or miss situation. We got home Sunday afternoon. The rain gauge had 3 inches of rain in it. Yipee! The garden plants look great. I'll update those flowers later, but on this posting I wanted to share how I watered the planters.





Yes, wine bottles filled with water


A two-fisted drinker


A brown bottle for the front of the house
I thought it might be less noticeable


This planter is on the south side of the house
It gets morning light
The bottle was empty & the soil dry
It did NOT get its share of the 3 inches of rain


We plan to be home for at least a couple of weeks


This established bed will get some attention


A new columbine plant from last year's $1.00 buys

Now that I know the water-filled wine bottles will work
I will certainly use the method again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!