Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ready for Summer

Since we are going to be gone the first 3 weeks in June, I've had very little time (weather & geocaching & grand care) to work in the yard. There was also the debate of whether or not to plant a garden (because we will not be around that much this summer). Hubby shared his opinion and I had to process and take some time to think about giving up what I think of as what summer is all about...fresh, home grown veggies. We have compromised, for this summer, anyway. I purchased the plants last Thursday but a weekend of rain prevented any planting. It was still too wet today (Tuesday) but because we are leaving town Wednesday morning, the plants HAD to get in the ground.


Two tomato plants, a basil plant & two cucumbers


I had scraped some of the mud off before the photo
It really was too wet


I don't like wearing gloves when I play in the dirt


So what did I (we) decide to do with the rest of the beautiful fenced garden area? Turn it into a perennial flower garden. I have a little one, but a bigger one will be a nice addition. We enjoy sitting in the back yard. Instead of looking at vegetable plants, we'll look at flowers. 

Putting perennials in the ground was also on my agenda today. I stopped at a local business advertising 1 quart perennials, 3 for $9.99. They had a nice variety of healthy looking plants. I bought 9. I thought I had 9 different, but found 2 oriental poppies in the box. That's okay, as I really like poppies. 




It will take a couple of years, some moving, some additions, but I think we will really enjoy the array of colors the plants will produce. The rabbit proof fence will come down, so we can enjoy short and tall. I am excited about this project. I have some plants from the other bed that will be moved to this one, giving the remaining plants more room. I also planted some perennial flower seeds. It will be interesting to see if they get a good start in the next few weeks.

In other outdoor decor news...

Lobella, a Martha Washington geranium 
(of undetermined color)
and a planter of 'flowers for dummies'
My back door arrangement


Planters along the garden wall
supposedly to attract hummingbirds,
so said the article I read last week


The back patio
The red, white & blue butterflies were in the front last year
and maybe the year before


I bought new stars for the front this year
(Uncle Sam needs a coat of paint)


I found red impatients for the front planter
I added a white trailing something and 
a blue trailing something
to keep the red, white & blue theme going
This is in the front of the house


No other flowers in the front this year

All the hostas were donated and planted the summer
I broke my ankle (2007)
My DIL's mother brought 7 different hosta varieties
from her own flower gardens AND she
planted them for me while I sat
in the wheelchair and watched.
They have done well, Liz.
Thank you.


The east side of the house
A second red, white & blue planter
Something for the neighbors to look at 
from their kitchen window


The front door
The metal insects were on the back garage wall
last summer. They look better with the birdhouse.


And the first, original perennial flower bed





The last pasque bloom
Also called a May flower





The 'gopher' columbine
The other two did not bloom this year


One of several $1 perennial buys from late last spring


This plant had its first set of flowers already


This one is almost done for the season


The lilly of the valleys are about done blooming
Too much white in this bed


The flower bed view from the patio
There should be some different colors showing 
when we get back later in the month

And how will your garden grow this summer???
Do you have silver bells, cockle shells or
pretty maids all in a row???













1 comment:

  1. Good one Coleen..........some giggling on my part as I read the blog and took in the photos!

    Nice gardens!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!