Friday, December 19, 2014

48 Hours

It is Friday, past noon, 48+ hours since I swallowed a capsule of radioactive iodine or Iodine-131. 98% of the radioiodine has left my body, according to the consult with Dr. P.

But, I am going to start with Tuesday.

Tuesday
Hubby and I arrived back at the hospital at 10:00 AM for the T121 body scan. (Different iodine. Different body scan.) A short walk and short elevator ride took us to the waiting room of the Nuclear Department. A tech brought me back, told me to lie on the scanning bed and try not to move for 40 minutes as the scan moved on top and below the bed, starting at my head and moving to my toes. To help pass the time, I started counting the songs playing softly in the background, but don't remember getting past six, which would not be 40 minutes. The tech appeared and said they would like another scan of my neck, taking another 10 minutes. Did I want to get up and move before continuing? Nope. Let's git 'er done! She helped me off the bed, told me to report at 11:30 on Wednesday for my radiation dosage. A doc from radiology would be conferring with the endocrinologist after viewing the scans. They would determine the dosage. I was done for the day.

The weather had improved, so we drove back home. After two nights in the hotel, although a VERY NICE hotel, we were ready for home. I did one more grocery run and a few more errands, cooked dinner (burgers with mushrooms, peppers & onions, potatoes & lettuce salad), a sort-of low-iodine comfort food. I finished moving some things to the basement. Now I was as ready as I could be.

Wednesday
The sun was shining for the 100 mile trip. I got to the nuclear department at 11:25 only to learn I needed to go back to the registration desk and check-in. OK. I did not see that on my note from yesterday. Back down and back up. The tech, a different one, called me back to begin my consult and paperwork. Dr. P sat across from me and explained what I would be getting that morning, discussed the paperwork and then talked. He asked how the cancer was found, what were my symptoms? Did I have thyroid issues prior to this? I was very comfortable with him, was able to ask questions, and got answers to questions no one else had answered. Yes, I could use my computer, phone, kindle within the first 48 hours. He asked what I was experiencing now, after the thyroid has been removed and shared all that would get better. He also shared the side effects after taking the pill. Possible nausea.

Isolation for 48 hours. "Most radioiodine not absorbed by thyroid tissue is eliminated through urine the first few days following treatment. A much smaller amount of radioiodine is eliminated through feces, salvia and sweat in a week to 10 days. Radioiodine concentrated in the thyroid will disappear naturally in several weeks."***

After the first 2 days, and for the next 5 days:
Maintain a distance of 6 feet from others
Sleep alone
Drink plenty of liquids
Use disposable utensils
Use separate bath linens
Stay away from small children & pregnant women
Use good hygiene habits; wash hands frequently & flush toilet twice after each use

All doable.

I signed papers. He signed papers. The tech came back and checked all the paperwork and initialed a check list. One more person came in, asked if I had any other questions, checked the paperwork and added his initials.

The tech came back wearing rubber gloves and carrying a larger (than Monday's) metal canister. I was not thinking or I would have asked at that point if I could take a photo. When I did ask, she said no, as she had opened the canister and the single, gray capsule was already exposed. It lay on the plastic cap of the bottle inside the canister. I was to put the cap to my lips, dump in the pill (without touching it) and swallow it with lots of water. I did. I was wished a very nice vacation and sent on my way. I joked and said all my days are vacation days; I am retired, after all. He smiled and said, "Your ALONE vacation." Got it.

I got back in the van and drove 100 miles in sunshine, walked into the house and down the basement. Hubby did have chili cooking for dinner. He put my serving in a disposable bowl and placed it at the top of the steps. I climbed up and brought it down and ate every bit and asked for more. I spent the day and evening watching TV Christmas movies and shows.

The special bonus to the day? A get well card from AZ geocachers!

Thursday
I had a great sleep. Made some coffee, oatmeal, and watched more sappy Christmas movies...all day long. ***radiation also leaves the body through tears

The body scan result report was in the mail yesterday. "The thyroglobulin is detectable as expected with a value of 3.3. This will hopefully drop to less than 0.1 after iodine therapy. The pre-treatment whole body iodine scan shows activity in the expected areas of the neck. No evidence of metastatic disease elsewhere. Good results thus far." YES!!!!!

Had a tossed salad with chicken for dinner. Talked to friends on the phone. (Thanks for the phone calls as it was so good to hear your voices.) Watched more never-seen-before-Christmas movies.

Friday
Slept well. Nauseous this morning. Ate some muffins (low-iodine) about 2:00. Watching more back-to-back-never-seen-before-Christmas shows, in the basement. Alone. A shower is on the schedule. This post is on the schedule (it is taking more than 2 hours to compose). I will stay down here until sometime Saturday or Sunday, or until hubby needs some 'guidance' in the kitchen. He continues to move about upstairs with the cane and surviving alone. I hope he is enjoying the quiet time.

I return to the hospital on December 24th for the T131 body scan. But more about that in another post...

Have a great day. I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!