Sunday, December 14, 2014

The FINAL Low-Iodine Food Post

I finished cooking and preparing food on Saturday. We are gone for the weekend. When we return I will be in quarantine. Any cooking happening at our house will be what I have prepped in advance or what Hubby puts together. I have several recipes ready for him, with detailed instructions (sort-of) to get us by until I can return to the kitchen.

Here is what we have been eating:


WEDNESDAY

Pesto Pasta & Chicken
Roasted Brussel Spouts with Balsamic Fig Vinegar

We like Creamy Pesto Pasta & Chicken, but without
the cheese & cream, it left something to be desired.
The one & only thumbs down


Vanilla Crazy Cake
flour, sugar & baking soda
vinegar, vanilla, oil & water




Tasty. Easy. The right size.




 THURSDAY

Apricot Chicken & Onions over Basmati Rice
frozen peas & red pepper sticks
Local white vino (a winner!)
Vanilla Crazy Cake for dessert

The Apricot Chicken was a WINNER!*
4 ingredients
chicken breasts seasoned with Mrs. Dash Chicken
cooked with sliced sweet onion
1/2 c. apricot jelly last 5 minutes

* Barb C: YOU can make this. Simple. Easy. Healthy.



FRIDAY

Met friends for dinner
They ate steak, meatloaf dinner & a burger
I had a bowl of lettuce with tomatoes, shredded carrots
drizzled with my Italian dressing
I really like my Italian dressing! Really!



SATURDAY

Chicken Fajitas
One of us got to enjoy it in a tortilla wrap
the other over Basmati rice

Again, I made my own seasoning from the book.
Excellent & better than any I have bought,
and so much healthier, too!

I also made my own Chili Powder today. 
Until I looked at the ingredient list, 
I did not realize salt was the second item listed.
I used the new & improved chili powder
 as one of the fajita spices.
Have not used it in chili yet,
but I think it will permanently replace
the spice/product I have been buying.



Black Bean Salsa/Salad
I combined the recipe in the book with my own
beloved Cowboy Salsa.
I found approved corn chips at the local health food store.
This is on MY menu for next week. YUM!


On Thursday, the orthopedic surgeon gave Hubby permission to begin weight-bearing at 50%. (six weeks since the break) He can roll the walker instead of using it to hop. Surgeon also said he can cook and clean-up next week. WOO HOO! Black Bean Chili will be on the menu! 

And a health update from me: I truly have been surprised at how well I have felt without a thyroid, a replacement pill, some of my FAV foods, and salt. I am not sure how long the 'I feel pretty good' would last - another week? a few more days? I sleep well at night. I have had the energy I have needed to prepare food and prepare for my moving to the basement. I will admit a WITCH invaded my body on Friday. Tears. Grumpiness. Frustration. Yelling. Unkind. Snippy. The witch was absent today, Saturday, which is a really good thing. She can just stay away, as it was a scary feeling, the loss of control & emotions. I have also learned the low-iodine diet is to continue through Dec. 23rd. That is doable. Thyroid pill to begin Dec. 19th. That is good. I will post a brief update on Dec. 15th and then be off-line for a couple of days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!