Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Half-way There

Tuesday. One week since the last thyroid pill. One week of the low-iodine diet. One week until the iodine treatment and quarantine.

I expected to be tired and listless. I expected difficulty in finding tasty, filling food to eat. I expected I could not dine out with friends. I expected there would be no desserts on my low-iodine menu.


Instead...

I made banana nut and pumpkin cranberry muffins on Friday.
They are yummy!
Nice to have a morning option.


Cooked 5 #s of organic hamburger on Monday,
made 4 quarts of meat & veggie pasta sauce,
2 containers of taco meat,
and hamburger for sloppy Joes.


Today...

After completing the Christmas cards project, 70+ in the mail today, I was ready for a treat...
Chocolate Cake. Not just any chocolate cake, Chocolate Crazy Cake (no eggs, milk, butter or bowls) I did use a bowl. There are recipes for 4 different Crazy Cakes, all without eggs, milk or butter. 


The cake ingredients qualify for the low-iodine diet.
Mix dry ingredients, make 3 holes, add 3 liquids,
cover with water & mix.


The batter was tasty.


35 minutes later WAH-LAH!
The kitchen smelled yummy.
The cake is moist & delicious.
I am going to try some of the others!


Dinner tonight
Gluten free pasta* with homemade meat & veggie sauce,
(the serving with cheese belongs to Hubby)
lettuce salad with made-from-scratch Italian dressing
some local Vino (Thanks CV writers)
and later...
Chocolate Crazy Cake


Each day, I am expecting the tired, run-down feeling but, so far NADA. I keep thinking of things that must be completed before Sunday, so work on all kinds of tasks prior to the quarantine period; the kinds of things Hubby will not be able to do.

Last night we joined long-time neighborhood friends for dinner at a local restaurant. I was able to order a side dinner salad and using my homemade Italian dressing, enjoy a meal with friends. Not every restaurant would work, but I know the salad at this one has no hidden ingredients and meets the acceptable guidelines. 

As a result of all this, there will be some life-time food changes at our house. It will be better for both of us. Store-bought is easy, but not healthier.

So, I will keep cooking, cleaning and preparing. And watching Christmas movies in the basement!


* I chose gluten free pasta as there were no eggs in the processing of the pasta. 




2 comments:

  1. You are definitely an over achiever! Glad you are feeling so well, looking forward to seeing you here in CV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Coleen. Your positive attitude is over the top! It is amazing what one can do in order to be 'ready' for upcoming days. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!