Monday, December 22, 2014

The What & Why of Radioiodine Treatment

This post is as much for my children and family as for anyone. If this topic doesn't interest you, you can skip this post.

I am less than 48 hours from the end of the suggested isolation period. I am less than 48 hours from the T131 Body Scan that will show if any thyroid tissue remains. The reason this is important is because the cancer was in the thyroid and to be sure it does not reappear or go anywhere else, all thyroid tissue needs to be destroyed.

Dr. P gave me a very helpful little booklet during our consult last Wednesday. I know the info was explained by several other medical personnel, but until last Wednesday it was only verbal info along with other info that seemed not important at that moment or too much info to absorb at that moment, or even, unimportant until Wednesday when I swallowed the powerful little gray capsule.

In the last two months I have talked to a number of people who have had thyroid issues or thyroid cancer. I can honestly say no one has had the exact same treatment as mine. That is because there are "several treatments for thyroid cancer including surgery, thyroid hormone use and radioiodine treatment." My treatment includes all three.

"The radioiodine treatment is a common and well-accepted form of treatment for thyroid disorders. I swallowed the radioactive iodine (Iodine-131). The radioactive iodine in the capsule is absorbed from the intestinal tract and taken up by the thyroid tissue." Tuesday's body scan showed 3.3 thyroid tissue remaining. The normal range is 1.3 - 31.8. This is one time I DO NOT want to be in normal range.

"There are two reasons for using the radio iodine treatment:
1) Some cancer cells may remain in the thyroid gland or adjacent lymph nodes after surgery. By receiving the radioiodine treatment, cancer cells remaining in the thyroid or adjacent lymph nodes may be destroyed.
2) Radioiodine is also given to destroy any remaining normal tissue even if it is likely that all cancer was removed during surgery. (The report from Dr. C says the cancer had not spread.) Destroying all remaining thyroid tissue makes it easier for the doctor to monitor for any possible recurrence of thyroid cancer."

The surgeon shared it was nearly impossible to remove ALL thyroid tissue surgically. I guess it isn't an organ like a liver or heart that can be "removed and lifted out". I am going with him as I don't believe I was his first thyroid surgical patient.

"So how does the radio iodine affect the rest of the body? After absorption from the intestinal tract, most radioiodine is taken up by the thyroid gland or by lymph nodes containing thyroid tissue. Radioiodine NOT taken up by thyroid tissue is eliminated from the body. (Refer to the 48 Hour Blog Post)

How long will the radioiodine stay in my body? Most radioiodine not absorbed is eliminated the first few days following treatment.*  Radioiodine concentrated in the thyroid will disappear naturally in several weeks."
*One of the medical consults told me 98% is absorbed or eliminated in the first 48 hours.

Between November 7th and December 3rd I was on a 'shorter acting' thyroid medication which really did help some of the missing-a-thyroid-symptoms I had started to experience in just one week of no thyroid. I had to discontinue that medication because "the absence of any thyroid medication causes the level of a pituitary hormone called thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) to increase. TSH increases the ability of the thyroid tissue to absorb and concentrate iodine (Monday's capsules) and radioiodine (Wednesday's capsule)." Luckily, Monday's blood work determined the TSH levels were where they needed to be and no further meds were necessary and treatment could proceed.

That section also explains the reason for the low-iodine diet. Eliminating as much iodine from the body as possible will help in the absorption of the first test and the radioiodine treatment.

I have resumed a thyroid medication but thus far I have not noticed any changes. I guess when you do nothing but watch sappy Christmas TV movies for 3 days or is it now 5 days (?) I have not exactly expended any energy! I move from chair to chair to couch to bathroom to bedroom to laundry room. No reason to get upset with anyone or be stiff or ache.

I think my neck area is a bit swollen, but it has not interfered with swallowing. I did not have the metallic taste in my mouth some patients experience. I am sleeping well. I am realizing sitting around all day, and I do mean sitting around, has decreased my appetite. I maybe a little chillier than usual, but again, I am not moving around. (OK, Hubby, I now get it. You were/are cold and not hungry.)

I am cooking dinner tonight. Apricot Chicken over Basmati rice with a salad. Hubby is ready to give up the position of chef. He will be on clean-up duty, however.

Body scan is scheduled for 10:00AM on December 24th. Low-iodine diet will officially be over. I will move back upstairs. And unless you are holding a baby or pregnant, be prepared to receive a hug or a handshake from me if we happen to meet.

On the countdown...






1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU THANK YOU f
    Coleen you explained 'it all' so well. It is fascinating as to how the body works, how the 'iodine' works. The best part will be when I can sit beside you and go through it again face to face. You should have been a Dr., patients would have loved you. However, your students must have loved you.............you have a such a gift with words. What can I say............you are a lovely, lovely woman!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!