Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Balls & Glory

As OFD and I were walking along the cobbled streets in Brussels, we were checking on possible dinner options. It had been another long, busy day and we wanted to eat in a sit-down place rather than grabbing things from the street vendors. Then we saw this...



OFD said she had heard of the place and it had good reviews. Their specialty? Stuffed meatballs. Hubby was game and so was I. Balls & Glory for dinner in Brussels.



We could choose from 4  stuffed meatballs on the menu that evening. They offered meatballs made of pork, chicken and vegetables stuffed with different fillings. We could choose either stoemp or salad as the side.


pork meatball stuffed with onion & cheese
on a bed of stoemp with sauce
their choices


I chose a pear and red cabbage stuffing
I think it was chicken meatball


stoep is mashed potatoes with carrots and cabbage
a sauce is drizzled around the form-shaped stoemp


Bowls of apples and oranges were setting on the tables as were carafes of water with glasses. OFD ordered their specialty lemonade and Hubby a beer. The food was delicious. The meatballs were coated in breadcrumbs, spices & herbs and then deep fried. The stoemp was good, just more than any of us could eat. There are numerous locations in Belgium. They serve products direct from the farm to the restaurant. Unique. Interesting. Delicious. Our meal was ready in 10 minutes.


After dinner we parked Hubby on a bench and finished our chocolate shopping. The Grand Place had been converted to a Christmas light show.




there were also green lights and blue lights


AND many more people
Now I understood why there were no Christmas
Market stalls in the plaza


Speaking of more people...I never felt concerned for my or our safety at any of the markets, where it was more crowded with people moving about. I did notice more visible homeless people at the train station nearest our hotel in Brussels. We were approached by beggars IN the train station asking for coins, often older ladies (older than me) wearing long wool coats and head scarves. When we said no, they left us alone. I also noted many homeless people sleeping at the station, but outside on cardboard sheets. They were rousted in the morning and their sleeping floor was power washed. No one bothered us, but I wished at the time we did not have to use that door area as our exit/entrance to the station. The station had a visible police presence. We had no incidents, so all went well for those 2 mornings and 2 evenings.

Brussels was a first for all 3 of us. Without a tour of some sort, I know very little about the city. We found two geocaches, had some good, unique food and enjoyed the shopping and tasting. We were able to communicate and get around the city. It is in a good location for getting around Europe on day trips, but I'm not certain I need to go back to Brussels. I think there are other places I would rather visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!