Thursday, April 11, 2013

Desert Flowers at the Arizonian

After my stop at St. George's Catholic Church I drove east to check on the blooming Saguaro at the Arizonian, a neighboring RV park. To my dismay, there was not one, NOT ONE, flower on the Saguaro! I did read that Saguaros may have a year of few or no flowers after a very abundant year. So I guess you will have to look at the abundant flowering Saguaro of last season. (I made three trips to the park to take photos in 2012.)

So I didn't see any Saguaro flowers, but I did see something else that was new and a delight. A 'professional' photographer friend has given the advice to always look behind as a better subject/photo may be behind you instead of the one you have been focusing on in front of you. That was the case again. (Visit How WE Spent Valentine's Day)

I drove by the Saguaro that I thought would be flowering, planning to park next to it. But when I didn't see any flowers, I decided to drive around the clubhouse, hoping to see something interesting. AND  I DID!


This bush was loaded with feathery red flowers.


The tips of the petals (maybe stamens?) looked like they 
were tipped in gold.


I have no idea what kind of bush it is.
I have not seen anything like it before and there was no
one in the area that I could ask.


I was enchanted with the red flowers.
The flower is not at the tip of the branch as there is stem and leaves
on either end of the flower.
Very unique!




A Prickly Pear was blooming in the front of the clubhouse.
My next post will include some other varieties of Prickly
Pear. Notice the color of the flowers tomorrow.

This photo shows empty pods-the flower is done blooming 
and has dropped from the plant.
Dying flowers attached to the pod.
And a yellow cupped, stamen filled flower with a green pod center.
Fruit will grow in the empty pods. It is also edible as I have 
tasted Prickly Pear ice cream.

You can't be anything but happy looking at these flowers.




I turned around and saw this young tree
blowing in the wind. I stepped closer to examine
the flowers.

Not sure of the kind of tree, again, but so pleased
I turned around and noticed what was behind me.


Although I did not see the flowering Saguaro I was so certain
I would find, I did see two amazing flowering bushes.
Tomorrow's post of more flowering cacti.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!