Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spring is on its Way!

I have friends who look for the first robins as the sign that Spring is on its way here in northeastern SD. Some feel it is the temperatures of 70ยบ as the sign of spring, especially those of us who have come from the warmer winter temps in the south. For me, it is the flowers...the blooming tulips and pasqueflower that I look for to say
"Spring is Here!"

I had posted photos on April 19th of the snow covering the yard and perennial flower bed. Last week Friday (exactly one week later) I noticed the snow had melted in most of the yard and in fact...

green plants (daisy) were peeking through in the perennial flower bed


The tulips are coming! The tulips are coming!


This grouping is a bit ahead of the other group


And in fact, I wasn't sure what these were/are as
I had planted them about 5 years ago and had never
seen them flowering.


Yeah, the flower bed needs attention, but it isn't going to happen
this week. Temps are back into the 40s mid-week through the 
weekend! UGH!


BUT...Today I noticed
The crocuses are blooming!


I had never seen them bloom before because they are usually
done before we ever get home in the spring. Usually there is
some spring before the end of April, but not this year.


 I know these are crocus because:
1) My daughter-in-law has them in her front yard 
and the rabbits have been eating them
2) My friend Scott, posted yellow crocus on his blog this
morning and I recognized the plant
He, Scott, did a time lapse photography project that is a 
must see. Check it out here: A Photo A Day

It will be awhile before the tulips are blooming, but I did 
see  buds on the pasqueflower plant. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!