Friday, November 19, 2010

My First Hike of 2010

Today I went along on a hike called "Apache Dam Road". It was a 5 mile round trip hike on a gravel road leading down into a valley near Apache Lake and eventually Apache Dam. The elevation was 900 feet, all downhill going in and all uphill coming back. I walked about a mile down and a mile back, taking pictures as it was my first time in the canyon. Here are some of my views today:


One of the many interesting views along my walk.



The gravel road through the canyon was full of switchbacks. Five members of the group were well on their way while I meandered near the top.



Wind, rain, and other acts of nature wear away the rock formations. This one caught my eye. Notice that awesome blue sky! Clouds had moved in before we returned to the resort. They may be here all weekend.



The dark lines on the side of this 'cliff' show where the rains cascade down the side of the cliff; using the same path year after year.


Notice the power line in the upper left corner of the photo. The canyon was the 'road' for power lines; makes sense when the purpose of the dams was to provide electrical energy to the Phoenix valley.



  I loved the variety of colors on the sides of the canyon and the different types of geological formations; folding, layers, all with various shades of green at their base.



Power lines meandering along the sides the of the canyon, imitating the stately saguaros.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!