Thursday, January 27, 2011

Javelina Comparison

 The photo above & below are from the javelina that visited nearby last year. Of course the camera has zoom, but the photos are from the same camera. I remember last year's critter as being larger than the one I saw this week...



 Not that I am getting really close and doing any measuring! Residents have seen a family of five marauding together; papa, mama, two yearlings, and a little one.
The desert has had very little rain, so I think the critters are entering the resort looking for food as they share the desert pasture with cattle. I certainly am not going to supplement their diet if I can help it!  I do know our site seems to be one of their pathways, like cow paths in a pasture. We just have not had them bother the feeders or bird bath in the past and those items have been there for 3 winters. Oh well...no real harm so far...

1 comment:

  1. It's like the deer that walk through our yard. We don't notice most of the time; only when they eat leaves or scrape bark from young trees. The rabbits are in the same category this winter.
    We very rarely see them, just their damage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!