Sunday, November 13, 2011

Saturday's Hike

Because Friday was Veteran's Day the hikers decided to hike on Saturday for the second hike of the week. The destination was Apache Dam Road with lunch afterwards at Tortilla Flats. I hiked today because 1) lunch afterwards; 2) the hike was on a gravel road; 3) I could hike as far as I wanted and return before the others; 4) there were other hikers who wouldn't be doing all 5.5 miles.

I went on this hike last year as it was Curt's first hike after his triple bypass and I felt I should be there just because. I went about a mile farther this year.

The first half-mile is 22% grade down hill. That also means a 22% grade uphill on the return trip. I'm no idiot; I went down 1.5 miles and back up at my pace and I made it with no ankle problems.

We had a surprise on this hike around the 1.5 mile point.

 This very dry river bed leads to Apache Lake. Oh, the hike goes down to the lake. An elevation change of 950'.

 Even as dry as AZ is after no summer monsoons, just dust storms, the mountains are still awe inspiring and colorful.

 The greens aren't as green as some years.


 The hikers crossed the bridge to get to the lake. Four of us didn't get that far.

 It was a perfect morning for hiking; some clouds and very comfortable temps.

Mountain ranges all around.

And the surprise...

 This big boy was standing on the road when he was spotted by the hikers. Curt got some good pictures of him and the rest of the herd grazing on the mountainside.



I also saw the mountain sheep on the mountain side. By the time we got to the spot where the big boy was hanging out on the road, he had moved off up the other mountain side. I did get some pictures, but Curt's were closer.

That was the first time we have encountered Big Horn Sheep in the Superstition Mountains. Pretty Awesome & Exciting!


1 comment:

  1. Magnifient picture of the big boy. You surely would have been surprised. A little gift that morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!