Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Expanding Artistic Talents???

Many years ago I remember watching (for short moments) Bob Ross teach oil painting on PBS on Saturdays. No doubt about it, he is/was a talented painter. His completed works of art looked great. I remember thinking: 1) he makes it look so easy, 2) I wonder if someone really does paint with him each program, 3) it looks like fun, 4) I wonder if I could paint like that. Well, most of my thoughts were answered last week.

Jim and Yvonne have been trained in the Bob Ross painting technique and travel to senior resorts sharing their knowledge. I had registered for one of their monthly classes earlier this season, but had to cancel because of a meeting commitment. When I saw the painting for February, I again registered for the class. All materials furnished. Bring a lunch snack. Plan to be in class most of the day. Pay $50.

From watching the PBS program, I knew it would be a "do what I do" kind of class. I put on my painting apron just like the other 10 or so students and prepared to learn how to paint with acrylic paint on canvas. WE were told how to hold the brush, how to load the brush, how to rest the brush, where to place the brush AND we were reminded when we DIDN'T.

We were also praised, encouraged, and helped when needed.








So what did I learn? 
1) Was it easy? Sort of.
2) Does anyone paint with him each week? Yes, I know of a person who did paint with Bob Ross each week and I have seen his oil paintings. He even admits that is how he learned to paint.
3) Was it fun? Sort of. 
4) Could I paint like that? Yes. My painting looks similar to that of everyone else in the class and has the same elements as the one the instructors used as a teaching tool.

Hubby does not have to worry about adding a painting studio to either residence nor do any of the relatives have to worry about getting an original oil painting and wonder where or what they should do with it. The experience didn't light any fires. I did it once; probably won't do it again.






2 comments:

  1. I did not know you had the 'painting' talent in you. Good job Coleen, very nice. Add it to the many other talents you have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!