Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Big Boy

I had a plan for this one all along. When I bought the dyes three years ago, I was thinking about the color scheme in my winter home. I had also bought a couple of cleaned, cut gourds back then. The only action they saw was a couple of road trips between AZ & SD. But their story is later...

Aren't the natural lines interesting in and 
of themselves? 


But I had a plan...

This guy got the mahogany dye. After a couple
of run applications, I put some honey leather dye
as the third and fourth coat...in some areas.

But I wanted more red...
I had also purchased another leather dye kit so
did some experimenting applying a red spray along 
the warty bottom, in certain areas. Not too much, just
a bit for color.
The blasts of red led to trying to make the warts
'stand out'. Years ago I had used a Rub & Buff product
when I did plaster crafts. It took awhile to find
what I was looking for, and again the good lady
at Hobby Lobby came through for me. 
The warts got a buff of antique gold, which was too
bold. An application of a red Rub & Buff toned it down 
just enough to emphasize, but not over power.


The finished product...


A wrap of black leather seemed to add just
the right touch. Again, I spent at least an hour 
trying to adorn this one on Sunday afternoon, 
but the black seemed to be the right touch.
And sometimes, less is better.


This big boy will sit on the shelf above the TV
in our winter home.


Tomorrow...the bowls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!