Monday, March 21, 2011

Playing with the Gourds

I am finally having the time to play. I have been working on the gourd project off and on this week. This is some of what I have accomplished:



This post is about the larger ball gourds...

 First, I used a leather dye to color the gourds.
The reason for the pictures of the same gourd
are to show how the natural blemishes on the gourd
 affect the color applied, especially a light color. 
This dye color is close to its 'natural' color.

This color is honey. It does have a leather look to it 
although that wasn't why I used the leather dye. 
I just wanted a background color and the leather dye 
was recommended by the folks at the gourd festival.
Inexpensive, lots of color varieties & EASY!






 As I applied the honey dye on this gourd, I let the dye
run and noticed how it formed a dark outline as the
dye dried. I liked the look. So I carefully applied a bit
more honey dye in the same area and let it run. Most of 
the time the dye stayed within the dried line of the first 
application. So, I got brave and applied a mahogany
(reddish color) dye in some areas, trying the same
technique. Apply, let it run or try controlling the run
and doing it a second time. The mahogany dried with a
darker line, giving me the urge to apply some patches
of black leather dye in controlled areas.

A background of honey leather dye, with some patches of
mahogany dye, and finally some black dye for contrast.


Tomorrow...the warty gourds!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!