Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Traveling Bowls

I should have taken pictures of the bowls before I began working on them. I didn't. I bought two bowls three years ago because they were already cleaned and cut. I was not ready to invest the big bucks necessary for the equipment to cut and clean the inside membrane. They were reasonable in price and seemed the way to start.

The gourd bowls traveled to SD, back to AZ, back to SD and back to AZ. They weren't going back to SD unless they were finished this year. Well, they aren't finished, but here they are...

This is one of the traveling gourd bowls. It has a 
coat of honey leather dye. No dye lines and no plan 
at this time. A blank canvas???



I purchased this one this year. I liked the scalloped
edge. I applied the black leather dye. I bought some 
unusual beads thinking they might work with this, 
but I am still contemplating it's design.



My Favorite...



This traveling gourd started with honey dye run lines.
I carefully added a second coat of honey, trying to control 
its run. Just like the ball on Monday's post, I added a
bit of mahogany following the same process.
And finally some black for contrast.

A couple of hours of browsing in Hobby Lobby led to the 
leather strip around the neck with the contrasting black 
leather strip. It isn't quite done, as I need to use a sewing 
machine to sew the leather 'tassel', or maybe not. I just
had an idea. And I know what I want to add as a final 
touch. This one may appear again next week!


This one is also staying at my place in AZ.


Next...the pepper gourds


1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!