Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Warty Gourds

When I saw these gourds in their wire baskets at the gourd festival, I could hear their call...try me, you can do it, try me! So I bit and bought...


 three of them, 2 smaller & 1 larger.

Cleaning them was easier than I expected.



Both gourds were dyed turquoise, same color leather dye.
The left was more blue, the right more green. The color 
difference lead to more creative thought & purchases.



The Green Warty Gourd

As I applied the turquoise leather dye, it ran. I had less 
control on where it ran and where it stopped because of 
the warts. This had just a couple of dye applications.
 
 In the sun the dye had a 'pearly' look. I tried to
find a pearlized gloss spray, but couldn't. The kind 
lady at Hobby Lobby suggested I water-down a
pearlized iridescent wash. I did and it did exactly 
what I hoped it would.


The finished product...


I braided some twine, added some beads
and green feathers. It will look great in a
friend's new resort home, but don't tell her...
it's a surprise!



The Blue Warty Gourd
 Less run lines with the turquoise dye
applications.

I'm not sure it this one is finished. It might 
need a third peacock eye. I spent more than an 
hour on this one on Sunday afternoon. What I
thought would look okay, didn't. Luckily,
this one doesn't have a specific home...yet.

Tomorrow...the BIG warty gourd...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!