Monday, October 17, 2016

The Surprise in Tupelo

The geocache was titled, "Elvis Presley's Birthplace." We had not found a campground so were staying in a hotel that night. I was all for forgetting about the geocache and just get to our destination. I am so glad Hubby didn't listen to me.

getting the photos


getting the cache



The museum was about to close, but we were encouraged to walk around the grounds. The museum area is so well done. There are all kinds of displays with stories and information about the early years of Elvis, his family and friends. I do not know what we missed by not seeing the museum, as I felt we got a lot for free.


we were rather shocked to realize he died in 1977
doesn't seem that long ago





Elvis at age 13









the buildings were closed 






window in the museum chapel


chapel in the museum


display on the hill above the museum and buildings





how it all started...


Elvis at 11











how I prefer to remember him
Elvis, the Entertainer



The whole display was very emotional as Elvis was Curt's sister's VERY favorite singer. Sharon passed away last month and Elvis "sang" at her funeral. She would have loved seeing the statues, his home, and reading the stories. (I did not include them in the post.)

The gift shop was open and we enjoyed shopping for Elvis memorabilia. I am so glad we stopped at the geocache, "Elvis Presley's Birthplace."

2 comments:

  1. Oh Coleen, I loved the blog. Well done girl!!! So very interesting. Sorry to read of Sharon 's death. Please pass on our sympathy to Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curt, we are so sorry for the loss of your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!